POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : hexagonal patterns (200kb jpg) : hexagonal patterns (200kb jpg) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:24:09 EDT (-0400)
  hexagonal patterns (200kb jpg)
From: stbenge
Date: 2 May 2008 02:50:46
Message: <481ab9c6@news.povray.org>
Hi everyone,

Nothing universe-splitting here, just some patterns I've been working
on. Sometimes I'd like to have an hexagonal version of the cells
pattern(#1), or a triangular version of the hexagon pattern(#6 & 7).
I've been developing such things and putting them all into an include file.

Two of these patterns(#3 & 4) are customizable via an optional
declaration of an input pigment. The default is a z-gradient with a
triangle_wave modifier. You can see it outlined by the hexagonal
overlay. Any pigment can be used, and it will be repeated inside the
hexagons with the option of having random 60 degree rotation(#1 only).

The rest of the patterns can be given a pigment_map, but I didn't not
implement further customization options. I did however, make available
two useful variables to translate and scale pigments according to the
edges and corners of each hexagon. A lot can already be accomplished
with this suite of patterns.

Next up: a trigonal version of the cells pattern and the ability to use
all the patterns in any material block (pigment, normal, texture)
without having to rely on pigment_pattern{}.

Is this something any of you would like to have a copy of? Questions,
comments and criticisms are welcome, as always~

Sam

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'hexpattern_test.jpg' (200 KB)