POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Do trials by jury make sense? : Re: Do trials by jury make sense? Server Time
1 Oct 2024 18:31:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Do trials by jury make sense?
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Apr 2008 16:24:28
Message: <4816327c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I don't think crime is a matter of opinion. (At least not in most cases.)

I think if it's not a matter of opinion, then it wouldn't likely go to a
trial in the first place.

Here's an example of a case I was almost on, as explained by the judge
before the jury selection, meaning that nobody was really arguing over
these facts: Military man gets a ride home with two ladies he met at the
base. They stop at one lady's house to take care of something, leaving
him in the car. A few minutes later, he comes in looking for a glass of
water. Ladies are in bed, invites him to join her, they do their thing,
go on their way happily, all three together in the same car, drive him
home, drop him off. Husband comes home six months later to find his wife
six months pregnant. OK, now she claims she's been raped. Plus, the guy
came into her house without an invitation, so that's breaking and
entering plus burglary. Plus, she got pregnant, which is "grave bodily
harm." Which means he's up for life in prison.  Makes sense yet?
Technically, if all that's true, he did commit a felony leading to grave
bodily injury by joining her in bed for her invitation, except she
didn't bother to report it until a year after it happened.

So, would you want that left up to the judge?

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"