POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Do trials by jury make sense? : Re: Do trials by jury make sense? Server Time
1 Oct 2024 18:30:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Do trials by jury make sense?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 28 Apr 2008 12:38:17
Message: <4815fd79$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:06:38 -0400, Warp wrote:

>   It's still better to have people who have years of education and
> experience on criminology and forensic science in general than random
> people who have no such things at all.

Those people *are* involved, Warp.  They're the expert witnesses, the
prosecution and defense attorneys, and the judge.  They're just not the
*only* people involved.

In my work in IT, it often made sense when I had a problem to try to
explain it to my wife.  She's not an expert in IT (by any stretch), but I
found that trying to explain things to her made them clearer for me.
Having "John Q. Public" involved means that the prosecution and defense
both have to really work on their arguments to explain them to the
layperson.  Since a jury can ask any question they want about what's been
presented or the law, anything that's not clear can be clarified.

And in exceptional cases where the jury comes to the wrong verdict (which
does happen), if the judge doesn't feel that the jury's vote was
appropriate (in either direction), the judge can set aside the verdict.

Jim