POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Do trials by jury make sense? : Re: Do trials by jury make sense? Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:20:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Do trials by jury make sense?
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Apr 2008 11:26:23
Message: <4815ec9f$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   It would be nice to know if the result would have been different if the
> jury consisted of trained and experienced professionals (of law, criminology
> and forensic science) instead of random people.

It's not just about law, tho. Indeed, the jury isn't supposed to decide
what the law should be, although it's inherent in the mechanism that
they do.

If someone winds up with illegal stuff on their computer, are you going
to have on hand an expert on computer hacking? An expert on tax law? And
expert on genetics? Doctors? Pilots? Plumbers? Every case needs
different experts, and the prosecutors can present those experts to the
jury.

You seem to be implying that you *should* have people with inherent bias
working on the cases. If it's a plumbing problem, you're going to have
some plumbing experts on hand, and they're going to have preconceived
ideas about how *they* would have handled the plumbing problem. Plus,
they won't be doing any plumbing if they're being full-time jurists.

The state already brings to bear experts on law, criminology, and
forensic science. Those are all working for the prosecutor. If at any
point, those experts believe the suspect didn't commit the crime, they
should stop prosecuting the suspect unless and until the evidence
implying his guilt surfaces. One part of the jury's job is to decide
whether those experts really *are* unbiased and truthful and expert. One
part of the jury's job is to acquit if the experts didn't do the job
right in spite of being experts.

If, after all is said and done, you are unable to explain why a person
should go to jail to a normal person, then my opinion is that person
shouldn't be going to jail.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"