POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : These words : Re: These words Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:16:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: These words
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 24 Apr 2008 12:44:05
Message: <4810b8d5$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Oh, I know. It was just a bit odd that the "natural banana flavoring"
> apparently had no banana in it. Not the naive interpretation of
> "natural" I was expecting. It was more an amused comment than anything.

Yep. I remember a long time ago watching a show about some of what goes
on behind the scenes with manufactured food products. I remember some
person in a lab with dozens of tiny vials mixing and matching the
compounds, and giving it a taste. The host asked about the distinction
between natural and artificial flavorings. The person in the lab
basically stated a natural flavor may have no relevance to what it's
trying to mimic, but is extracted from a natural source, whereas
artificial flavor is a molecule synthesized to mimic the flavor of
something. Something like almond flavoring isn't derived from the
almonds you can buy at the supermarket, but rather an extract toxic
variety that is bitter to the taste.

Not sure what they could use to get "natural" banana flavor...