POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : These words : Re: These words Server Time
2 Oct 2024 12:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: These words
From: Darren New
Date: 23 Apr 2008 19:47:55
Message: <480fcaab$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Actually, I was thinking if anything I'm likely to try reading the Harry
> Potter books [which are also reputed to be well-written].

They're well-written, but rather puerile in my opinion. Of course,
they're targeted at kids, so you kind of expect it. The first one was
OK, but as they went on it was obviously getting lamer and lamer. The
movie pretty much summed up the book without a whole lot of differences.

I also read Golden Compass et al, which was actually one of the better
fantasy books I've read lately. Surprisingly full of prophesies and
magic for a book intended to convince you not to believe in that stuff.

I suspect, Andrew, you would very much like "Permutation City" by Greg
Egan. Track it down and read the description. It's one of my favorite
pieces of geeky computer fiction.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"