POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fundamenal OS wrongness : Re: Fundamenal OS wrongness Server Time
1 Oct 2024 05:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fundamenal OS wrongness
From: Warp
Date: 23 Apr 2008 05:26:37
Message: <480f00cc@news.povray.org>
> Yeah. There are lots of OSes that assume disk access is fast enough you
> can block while it goes on. (Indeed, I think I saw in the release notes
> that they just fixed this in the latest Linux kernel, letting you now
> kill a process waiting on disk access, but it's been like that in UNIX
> since before V7.)

  Linux indeed had this problem too: If there was an error reading a DVD,
the system would become *extremely* sluggish for something like 5 minutes
(and the program which attempted the read completely unresponsive for that
time). There was a trick to reduce this time, and it was to reduce the
read ahead amount for the DVD drive using /sbin/hdparm -a.

  But as you say, maybe they have fixed that lately because it hasn't been
happening lately, even with erroneus DVDs.

--
                                                          - Warp