POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fundamenal OS wrongness : Re: Fundamenal OS wrongness Server Time
1 Oct 2024 05:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fundamenal OS wrongness
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Apr 2008 20:18:00
Message: <480e8038$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> There's something fundamentally wrong with your OS architecture when
>> copying a directory full of files from one drive to another makes your
>> hardware-accelerated mouse cursor so jittery it's literally unusable.
>> Sheesh.
>
>   Are you sure it's a problem with the OS and not the hardware?

I never had it happen before, nope, and it doesn't happen unless I'm
flogging at disks.

I mean, I think it's that the touchscreen bit is probably running in
user space, and the USB channel is probably hogging a bunch of kernel
CPU decoding packets or something. The CPU time always skyrockets when
whapping away at USB.

But if you're not handling something as easy as moving the cursor
pointer in an interrupt routine when the hardware supports sprites for
the cursor, there's something wrong, methinks. I wish AmigaDOS scaled. :-)

I think I figured out why my Linux audio is inconsistently functional,
too. There are messages showing up in dmesg about not being able to load
the new microcode for the audio card or something, and then /dev/audio
doesn't show up. If I leave the power off long enough after running
Windows, it seems to work much more reliably, so I'm suspecting Windows
is reconfiguring the board, then Linux tries to reconfigure it in an
incompatible way. Or something.  Annoying.  :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"