POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : These words : Re: These words Server Time
1 Oct 2024 22:25:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: These words
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Apr 2008 20:13:33
Message: <480e7f2d$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Hint: All spanish is pronounced just like it's spelled.
>
>   Not letter-by-letter, though. Some combinations of letters are
> pronounced differently than those letters alone would be. For example,
> the 'u' in "gu" is pronounced differently than in 'gui' (where it, in
> fact, is not pronounced at all). Moreover, the 'g' in "gu" is pronounced
> differently from the 'g' in "gi".

I didn't know that.

>   The letter 'l' is pronounced differently when it's doubled: "ll"
> (although official Spanish grammar considers 'l' and 'll' two distinct
> letters of the alphabet, to be precise).

Yeah. This and the "c" / "ch" are considered single letters. Like, in
the dictionary, "lk" and "Lm" don't surround "ll". I think "r" and "rr"
do the same thing, too. That's sort of what I was implying by "some of
the letters are pronounced in unexpected ways."  I think the accents (as
in stress on sylables) are very consistent too.

>   The pronounciation of the letter 'x' varies according to which
> (Spanish-speaking) country you are in. Maybe even inside the same country.

I'm sure stuff has drifted.  It's a heck of a lot more consistent than
English, tho!

>   IIRC, there are no words in Spanish which start with an 's' and with
> the second letter being a consonant. If a Spanish-speaking person tries
> to pronounce a foreign word like that, he will usually instinctively
> pronounce an 'e' at the beginning of the word (ie. before the 's'), for
> some reason (I never understood why).

Cool. A lot of the oriental languages (mandarin, japanese) have mainly
sylables with one consonant. (I.e., every consonant is close to a
vowel.) So you don't get words like "consonants", which are easy for me
to pronounce and hard for most people I know who grew up speaking chinese.

A funny story. "Hoya" is the spanish word for "cove" (as in, a bay of
water good for parking boats). When the british/americans/English
speakers took over the town next to where I live, they asked the spanish
living there what it was called.  "La Hoya."  The brits then said
"Hmmm... But it's spanish. Better mark it on the maps as "La Jolla".

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"