POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : These words : Re: These words Server Time
1 Oct 2024 22:24:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: These words
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Apr 2008 18:16:21
Message: <480e63b5$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> I did not know that "Barista" had entered the English language. Other
> than that I know all of them.

I've only ever heard it in reference to Starbucks. :-)

The only word I didn't know is sapphic.

And, incidentally, yes, Oedipus is supremely f'ed up. That's pretty much
why it's still a part of the language thousands of years after it was
written, in a different language yet.

> I would not say "supremely illiterate" but you don't have a broad
> enough education.

Or you don't read enough difficult books. Or you read them and skip the
hard words.

It's sometimes fun trying to figure out what my wife (who learned
Chinese first) is asking when she comes across a word she doesn't know.
  "What's a mig-non?"

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"