POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : These words : Re: These words Server Time
1 Oct 2024 20:24:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: These words
From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 22 Apr 2008 16:19:59
Message: <480e486f$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:
> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

>>> 'on-TON-druh' might be a rough approximation (apologies to the French).
>>
>> "Critics of ad hoc pronunciation schemes point out that such schemas
>> are inherently self-referential, since they rely on the ability of the
>> reader to already know how a large number of words are commonly
>> pronounced. In addition, such schemas often assume a certain language,
>> dialect or accent on the part of the reader, and due to its popularity
>> in the US, this is very often a US accent."
>
> Fair enough. This example works fine for both british and US accents,
> though.
>
> :P
There is also the possibility that the actual French pronunciation would
not be understood at all by English-speaking people, because they could
be more accustomed to some deformed approximation. In this case the
ad-hoc scheme can actually be more appropriate :-)

I know French people understand English with a French accent far better
than English with an English accent, at least...

--
Vincent