POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : These words : Re: These words Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:18:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: These words
From: Shay
Date: 22 Apr 2008 09:42:28
Message: <480deb44@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> http://blog.orphi.me.uk/archives/268
>
> How many of these words can *you* figure out, without looking them up?
>
> Am I just supremely illiterate, or are these words actually rare?

Knew all but Defenstration / Defenestration, and I swing a hammer for a
living. You're not knowing these words supports my low opinion of geek
television and literature [1], which I have found to be typically inane.
What I can't figure out is why? Why are such an intelligent group of
people drawn so strongly to children's books and poorly written pulp
magazine serials?

  -Shay

[1] I read /Mote in God's Eye/, /Ringworld/, /The Hobbit/, and a few
others when I was on a cardio (10.5 elliptical trainer hours a week)
kick a few years ago.