POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : These words : Re: These words Server Time
1 Oct 2024 05:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: These words
From: Warp
Date: 22 Apr 2008 06:41:30
Message: <480dc0da@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> >   "Barista" is rather easy to guess, especially if you know Spanish
> > (like I do).

> Any hints on how to pronounce it?

  I suppose you pronounce it approximately in the same way as a Spanish
would.

> >   The oedipus complex is basic psychology.

> Or "really seriously messed-up weirdness", depending on your point of
> view...

  If I'm not mistaken, it's considered a rather normal (and temporary)
phase in the development of a child. With children it has little to do
with sexuality and more to do with personal attachment and identification.
It's very rare after certain age.

> >   Double entendre is quite common speech, IMO.

> Again, how do you even pronounce such a word?

  You'll have to ask a French-speaking people for that.

  Examples of other commonly-used words loaned into English from French,
and which can be quite difficult to pronounce for someone who has never
heard them: genre, lingerie, entrepreneur, facade.

> >   It's really strange you don't know what "platonic" or "effeminate"
> > mean, IMO.

> I guessed that "platonic" would be something to do with regular solids.

  Ever heard of platonic love?

--
                                                          - Warp