POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : "What every programmer should know about RAM" : Re: "What every programmer should know about RAM" Server Time
1 Oct 2024 05:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "What every programmer should know about RAM"
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 21 Apr 2008 12:14:14
Message: <480cbd56@news.povray.org>
news:480cb7fe$1@news.povray.org...

> The info on TLBs was quite interesting too. And all that NUMA stuff too.
> But you begin to wonder what us programmers can actually *do* about all
> this stuff.

NUMA's pretty important when writing server-type apps. The main point around
Numa is that memory local to the node is orders of magnitude faster to
access than remote memory.

I don't know anything about NUMA support in the unix/Mac OS. I'm sure there
must be some.

In windows, the memory allocation APIs must be called differently when
working with NUMA than with symetric multiprocessor archtectures. If you're
interested, I can dig some details out of a book I have. It's at the office,
so I can only check tomorrow.