POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Woot : Re: Woot Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:20:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Woot
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Apr 2008 11:47:03
Message: <4808c277$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Tim Cook wrote:
>
>> About 7x faster to read from internal than write to external USB at
>> what it's currently doing, but it should be getting 47 MB/s the way it
>> started out instead of plodding along at 13...
>
> Disk fragmentation?

Or memory buffering, depending on how much RAM you have. I regularly
wind up in the situation where I make 10 gig of changes in a short
timeframe on the machine with 16G of RAM, and the (say) untar finishes
in 40 seconds, and running 'sync' afterwards takes another 90. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"