POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just in case you missed it ... : Re: Just in case you missed it ... Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just in case you missed it ...
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 17 Apr 2008 15:07:32
Message: <48079ff4$1@news.povray.org>
>> SPARC still exists...?
>
>   In your world there exists only two processor companies: Intel and AMD,
> and there exists only two operating systems, Windows and Linux. Probably
> also only two web browsers, IE and Firefox, two office software packages,
> MS Office and OpenOffice, two image manipulation programs, Photoshop and
> Gimp...
>
>   The world is bigger than you think, and not everything is made of pairs.

Well, no, there are *lots* of CPU designs out there. It's just that most
of them are legacy designs that used to be put in "computers", and now
get put into TVs and toasters. I'm aware that SPARC used to be big
business, I just hadn't heard it meantioned in ages, so I assumed it was
no longer current technology...

As far as OS choices, you've got Windows, Linux and [apparently] OpenBSD
(which, as best as I can figure out, is exactly like Linux, except that
it it's also different somehow...) As far as I'm aware, there aren't any
other operating systems for the IBM PC that are what you could describe
as "usable" in the normal sense.

There are zillions of web browsers, but only a few popular ones. [For
reasons that escape me, Lynx is apparently quite popular. Judging by my
web logs anyway...]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/