POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OK, guys. No more atacks on M$. I promise (not) : Re: OK, guys. No more atacks on M$. I promise (not) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:21:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OK, guys. No more atacks on M$. I promise (not)
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 17 Apr 2008 13:40:45
Message: <48078b9d$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 18:17:52 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> As if "competing" with MS is even a sane concept...
>>
>> Lots of people do it.  My employer does, for one, and has for quite a
>> long time....
>
> That's just silly. One of three things will happen:
>
> 1. MS release a product that does the same thing. Everybody will use
> that instead of yours. (It says MS on it, therefore it is superior.) You
> will die.
>
> 2. You do well. MS buys you. You die.
>
> 3. You do well. MS doesn't release a product that does what yours does.
> Thus you aren't really "competing" with MS because you're in a different
> market.

Well, look at Novell's history - MS can't buy Novell (anti-trust
concerns).  Novell was in the networking business before Microsoft.
Market share did diminish, no doubt, once NT came onto the market (part
of the reason was bad management at Novell, part was anticompetitive
behaviour on MS' part).

So you're saying that because MS is in the server market, nobody should
ever try to make a server?  We do very well, thankyouverymuch....

Jim