POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now what am I going to store on this? : Re: Now what am I going to store on this? Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:21:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Now what am I going to store on this?
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Apr 2008 12:30:21
Message: <48077b1d@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> If you were to make a device so small that it consists of only a few
> dozen atoms, you couldn't be able to reason about it using the usual
> laws of electricity. You'd have to use quantum dynamics or something.

And you think that people building modern semiconductor wafers aren't
using quantum dynamics to design them?  I mean, you need QED to even
make *any* semiconductor work.

> only, say, 20 atoms in size, then they'd *all* be ordinary silicon
> atoms, and it wouldn't be a semiconductor.

Technically, it would still be a semiconductor. Just not a very useful
one, because it would be 100% semiconductor.

> a sandwich of N-type and P-type semiconductive matter) with that few
> atoms. It wouldn't work properly.

I believe the junction between base and emitter in a CMOS transistor is
all one type of semiconductor (all P or all N) for what it's worth. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"