POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now what am I going to store on this? : Re: Now what am I going to store on this? Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:23:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Now what am I going to store on this?
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Apr 2008 11:56:30
Message: <4807732e@news.povray.org>
>> Either way, you would *think* neuron cells would be the "obvious"
>> choice for making RAM circuits. They already have the ability to wire
>> themselves up for you, so...
>
> Not for storage.  They work best as pattern filters.
>
> (Just try comparing your brain's ability to recognize pictures to its
> ability to remember minute trivia).

There are people who have successfully memorised Pi to thousands of
decimal places, routinely memorise decks of cards, etc.

The default way the *human* brain is wired up is optimised for tasks
such as shape recognition, which are critical to survival, and poorly
optimised for memorising digit sequences [which, for many millions of
years, was *not* an important task].

That doesn't mean that you couldn't wire up neurons in such a way that
they reliably store arbitrary data.

Here's a thought: When you turn RAM off, all the data gets lost. When
you "turn off" a biological storage system... all the cells die? Ouch!
UPS for the win! ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/