POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now what am I going to store on this? : Re: Now what am I going to store on this? Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:21:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Now what am I going to store on this?
From: Chambers
Date: 17 Apr 2008 01:13:02
Message: <4806dc5e$1@news.povray.org>

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/earth/2008/04/15/sciipod115.xml

>   This is certainly not the first time I read news about some new
> revolutionary technology which "will increase memory capacity/hard disk
> sizes/CPU speeds/whatever a million-fold", yet nothing happened even after
> several years. I have seen at least a dozen of those types of news during
> the past decade, yet none of them has realized as promised.

The problem is that research guys at University aren't really interested
in talking about what's commercially viable, but rather what might be
physically possible assuming we can ignore several current (and
significant) limitations.

Even one of the guys on this team said that it would be at least 10
years before they even start to think of prototypes, whereas the IBM
team has something in the labs to play with *right now*.

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com