POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now what am I going to store on this? : Re: Now what am I going to store on this? Server Time
1 Oct 2024 07:21:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Now what am I going to store on this?
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 16 Apr 2008 16:40:55
Message: <48066457$1@news.povray.org>
>> Or that guy who developed genetically engineered algae that responded to
>> electricity. The idea was that you could just "grow" your memory as
>> large as you wanted. Near-zero manufacture cost.
>>
>> He never did quite get the prototype to work - but he came closer than
>> you might think...
>
> I did not hear about that

Yeah, apparently this guy discovered some algae that weakly respond to
electric currents. He grew them in the lab and engineered them such that
you could use a small laser to set or reset them, and a small electric
current to determine which state a given alga cell is currently in.
Obviously, a single living cell is pretty damn small, and they're
densely packed in 3D space, so - assuming you can get the laser to them
and wire them all up - *massive* storage capacity ensues.

I saw it on Tomorrow's World. (Remember that program? WHERE'S MY FLYING
CAR, BITCH!?!) Apparently nothing ever came of it.

OTOH, many people claimed that "electricity is just a fad" and "it will
never come to anything of signifigance". Sure, using green slime to
store computer data might *sound* crazy - but 10 years ago, a 750 GB
harddrive sounded pretty crazy...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/