POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : While riding on public transit... : Re: While riding on public transit... Server Time
2 Oct 2024 02:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: While riding on public transit...
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Apr 2008 17:14:01
Message: <4803c919$1@news.povray.org>
Sherry Shaw wrote:
> "Wealth" (2) is also called "privilege" because that's what it is--a
> privilege.

Actually, I'm going to dispute this. Your ability to hang on to the
money that others have voluntarily given you is not a privilege. It's a
fundamental fact.

This is what a war-lord is: someone with enough money to buy weapons and
defenses and to hire people to man them in order to keep you from taking
away what's left.

Midieval knights didn't get their armor by collecting taxes to pay for
it. They got their taxes by wearing armor to collect it.

In what conceivable sense is it a "privilege" to take at gunpoint
someone else's labor? I don't know about where you live, but here we
used to call that slavery.

I suspect that if Bill Gates took his $140 billion dollars to Kenya in
some form that wasn't just fiat currency, he would have no trouble at
all keeping it, given that he'd have twice the GDP of all of Kenya at
his disposal for buying fortresses, weapons, etc.

So no, having money that *you* earned isn't a privilege unless you think
"privilege" means "i've decided to not try to kill you for your money."
If you think it's a privilege not to be torn apart by the mob, yeah, I
can see where you might think being wealthy is a privilege.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"