POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Desecration : Re: Desecration Server Time
1 Oct 2024 07:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Desecration
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Apr 2008 06:32:15
Message: <480332af$1@news.povray.org>
>> Pretty impressive for a computer though, eh? ;-)
>
> How did you do it? I must have been asleep or missed the thread.

Native Instruments Komplete IV, and a copy of Steinburg Cubase SX.

Komplete, as the name rather implies, is a discount-priced bundle
containing almost the entire NI product line. Absynth, FM8, Reaktor,
Battery, Massive, Kontakt, Akoustik Piano, etc. They're all there.

Anyway, what you're actually hearing is from Kontakt. It's basically a
vast set of recordings of various instruments. When you press a note, it
plays back a recording of that note. I never thought I'd hear myself say
this, but a synthesizer playing a detuned sawtooth wave with some
filters really doesn't compare to a recording of a real, live violin.

Also fun: You don't just get "violin". You get "sustained violin",
"sforzando violin", "tremolo violin", "pizzicato violin", and you get
all of these in stereo, recorded from 4 seperate pairs of microphones so
you can select close-mic'd or distant. It doesn't just change the
loudness, you actually get less bow noise from further away...

Now repeat all of the above for viola, cello, flute, piccolo, trumpet,
clarinet, oboe, harp, celesta, harpsichord, pipe organ...

Do you understand why it comes on 5 DVDs yet?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/