POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ooo, external organs : Re: Ooo, external organs Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ooo, external organs
From: Invisible
Date: 10 Apr 2008 04:25:44
Message: <47fdcf08$1@news.povray.org>
>> [I do have something of a fascination with them though. Still, it's not
>> something you can learn easily. They are rare instruments. And they're
>> LOUD!]
>
> Strangely they are not so loud unless you unleash the whole set of pipes.
> They give a powerful impression because of the richness of the harmonics
> combination and the reverberation of the hall/church but the level barely
> reaches 100dB. I had to record together an organ and a bombard (kind of
> Breton traditionnal oboe) played by a single (good) player with his own
> lungs and the organ was sometimes overwhelmed by the bombard.

I recently visited the Royal Albert Hall. It's a large arena with a
giant organ growing out of the back of it. They played some orchestral
music where every now and then the organ would join in.

Several times, I felt like just walking over to the orchestra and saying
"Hey guys, I'm sure you've practiced this endlessly, but seriously... Go
home. There's a 4-tonne pipe organ behind you. I'm sure what you think
you're playing sounds wonderful. But seriously. We. Can't. Hear. You.
Hell, I can't here *myself* right now! And my mum's handbag has so far
migrated about six feet across the floor due to the intense seismic
vibrations! Go home. You're wasting your time..."

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/