POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ooo, external organs : Re: Ooo, external organs Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ooo, external organs
From: M a r c
Date: 10 Apr 2008 03:30:18
Message: <47fdc20a$1@news.povray.org>

47fd2c7a$1@news.povray.org...
>> This is actually pretty normal with pipe organs.

not when you are the player

> I've never had the opportunity to play one - as you can probably
> imagine...

I didn't either (my father does weekly though) but I had the opportunity to
record a handfull of them

> [I do have something of a fascination with them though. Still, it's not
> something you can learn easily. They are rare instruments. And they're
> LOUD!]

Strangely they are not so loud unless you unleash the whole set of pipes.
They give a powerful impression because of the richness of the harmonics
combination and the reverberation of the hall/church but the level barely
reaches 100dB. I had to record together an organ and a bombard (kind of
Breton traditionnal oboe) played by a single (good) player with his own
lungs and the organ was sometimes overwhelmed by the bombard.

Marc