POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ooo, external organs : Re: Ooo, external organs Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:19:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ooo, external organs
From: M a r c
Date: 10 Apr 2008 03:16:41
Message: <47fdbed9@news.povray.org>

47fd1bed$1@news.povray.org...
> My copy of Kontact comes with three organ sounds. These are labelled as
> "Voix Humaine 8'", "Pos-Scharff", and my personal favourit, "Fonds +
> Quint". Does any of that mean *anything* to anybody here?

A pipe organ is a kind of 2 dimensions array.
Collumns are notes played by the hands and feet keyboards
Rows are various stops allowing air to reach different sets of pipes.
Pipes are 2 kinds :
Flute pipes (made of wood or tin) that work like recorders but playing a
single note by pipe. Their pitch depends on their length and the
open/closedness of their top end.
In reeds, the sound is generated by a beating reed like a clarinet. Their
pitch is related to the length and mass of the reed, the pipe works mainly
on the colour of the sound.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_organ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vox_humana

Fonds are a mixed set of flute pipes, Fonds+Quinte are the same with a 5th
added to simulate odd harmonics.
Scharff  is a German style mixture of high pitch pipes (mostly octaves and
5ths added to normal 8' pipes).

> I'm trying to play organ music, but obviously I know nothing about organs!
> ;-) Oh yeah, and the digital instrument has only 5 octive range. I guess
> they couldn't be bothered to record the rest or something. Has some
> *serious* reverb too - presumably from the hall where they recorded it.
> It's actually hard to play in time due to the lag between hitting a key
> and the note sounding at full volume... the reverberations are confusing
> my timing! :-S
Are you sure the reverb is sampled and not added afterwards? haven't you any
control on it?
If they recorded the reverb as well this is a bad idea.
Usually the organ player is sitting at the console relatively close to the
pipe set and has very short delay unless there is a remote mobile console as
in St Eustache in Paris where the organist can play (with some training to
anticipate the lag) among an orchestra.

Marc