POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I found this interesting : Re: I found this interesting Server Time
2 Oct 2024 00:18:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I found this interesting
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Apr 2008 07:46:39
Message: <47fcac9f$1@news.povray.org>
>> Yeah, I'm sure that happens. In fact, it's the kind of thing you see
>> on the Daily WTF all the time. But, as everybody always points out,
>> the *real* WTF is that MANAGEMENT FAILED TO ALLOCATE SUFFICIENT
>> RESOURCES.
>
> Management would say that the resources would be better used elsewhere
> (and they are sometimes correct).

Well, what should happen is that a project is either properly resourced,
or put off until such time as it can be properly resourced. The problem,
as you rightly point out, is when people demand impossible things and
get them rather than being told to take a walk.

[Indeed, I've seen a definite recurring theme of "promise the customer
absolutely anything to make them hand over their money, and worry about
whether it defies the known laws of physics later". Ultimately it is
again management's responsibility to make sure their salesmen don't do
this...]

>> Hey, maybe that's why we have this long, complex design process
>> specified in the first place?" But, obviously, this did not happen.]
>
> I guess that's another risk, if you have a hugely complex and long
> design process with nobody checking it is being followed, then of course
> people are going to avoid it.

This is the staggering thing.

This made a basic beginner's error. If anybody at my uni *ever* dared to
pull a stunt like this, they'd get their work *severely* down-marked.
[Usually anybody stupid enough to try this also sucks at programming, so
basically they get their work failed and have to start again.]

It blows my mind that we actually *got away* with this crap. There are
external auditors who should have spotted this one and had somebody
fired - and probably half the company shut down. Not doing what your
procedure documents say you're doing to do is a BIG DEAL to these
auditor types - even if in principle it doesn't "matter" as such. The
fact that you didn't do what the documents say *is* the problem.

> HAHAHAHHA - best laugh so far today!

It is pretty hysterical, eh?

Now try ACTUALLY USING THIS SOFTWARE FOR A LIVING! >_<

For you, it's just some words on a page. For me, it's a daily reality.
This, surely, is enough to make a grown man cry... :'{

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/