POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One thing which puzzles me about unix/linux : Re: One thing which puzzles me about unix/linux Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:21:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One thing which puzzles me about unix/linux
From: Warp
Date: 9 Apr 2008 00:47:12
Message: <47fc4a50@news.povray.org>
> >   Why would GC help this? Even GC'd memory must be prepared to allocate
> > blocks of any size, and it must be thread-safe. I don't think GC would
> > help these problems.

> Allocations can be much faster, because you don't go looking for free
> space until you run out of space.

  So GC is basically a selfish and greedy memory allocation engine which
cares only about itself, not anything else in the same system which might
have some use for that wasted memory.
  (Not that this would be anything new to me.)

  Doesn't this also mean that the GC runs a lot more often than would be
strictly necessary? Isn't that kind of counter-productive? Not only is
memory wasted (and thus away from other processes), but part of the speed
benefits in doing so are lost by having to run GC sweeps more often.

--
                                                          - Warp