POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One thing which puzzles me about unix/linux : Re: One thing which puzzles me about unix/linux Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One thing which puzzles me about unix/linux
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Apr 2008 13:47:48
Message: <47fbafc4$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> It's not really so much a fault of C++ per se, but more a fault of the
> system library tasked on the memory management.

Yah.  It *can* be a fault of the standard for a language, tho. For
example, doesn't C++ require that "destroy" and "free()" basically do
the same things to the memory allocation? In the sense that "new" isn't
allowed to look at the type and (say) overallocate a block and do its
own sub-block management type stuff?  I.e., in the sense that the
standard library isn't allowed to do some of the stuff you might do
yourself by overriding "new"?

>   Using a more efficient memory allocator can cause amazing speedups, as
> I wrote on that page.

That's one of the ways GC can be faster than manual memory management.
Many, many memory management libraries really suck bigtime, while a
tremendous amount of time is spent making GC fast.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"