POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I found this interesting : Re: I found this interesting Server Time
2 Oct 2024 06:23:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I found this interesting
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 7 Apr 2008 17:06:49
Message: <47fa8ce9$1@news.povray.org>
>> My mum seriously wanted me to do a PhD. Because, I mean, 6 years in

> Most people here get paid to do a PhD, I can not imagine that it is much
> different in the UK. And your mum may be right a PhD would fit you
> better than your current job.

A tiara made of thorns would fit me better than my current job! ;-)

My mum also wanted me to do an A-level in mathematics. Because, as you
know, everybody wants employees with qualifications in mathematics. Oh,
wait...

> One major problem is that you don't want to move. Your current home town
> is not exactly a hot spot of computer science research.

Oddly, my home town isn't exactly a hot spot of... anything. I really
can't begin to imagine why. Maybe because it hasn't been here very long
yet? *shrugs*

> Another problem is your pathological lack of self esteem (or at least
> the constant public display of it).

Pathological? Maybe. Lack? Incontravertably! :-/

> Any sane person would not have
> referred to 'my pathologically weak writing skills' after all that has
> been said over the last few days.

I said I'm bad at writing "large" documents - which is presumably what a
final PhD thesis is. Also, all of my work at uni that involved any
element of what academics refer to as "research" was extremely hard for
me. I have no idea what "research" actually is, or how you're supposed
to do it. As I understand it, a PhD is 82% research...