POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One thing which puzzles me about unix/linux : Re: One thing which puzzles me about unix/linux Server Time
1 Oct 2024 09:27:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One thing which puzzles me about unix/linux
From: Tom Austin
Date: 7 Apr 2008 09:27:59
Message: <47fa215f$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Now, what I would also like to have is a similar utility or built-in
> command which tells be the peak memory usage of a program. I want to know,
> for example, if an optimization I made in a program really saved a relevant
> amount of memory or not. Sounds rather simple, doesn't it?
>
>   Well, to my amazement there doesn't seem to be any such utility in
> existence for unix or linux in particular.
>
>   There are tons of ways of seeing how much a program is *currently*
> taking. For example, you can use utilities like "top", "pmap", "vmstat"
> and "ps" for this purpose. They all can tell how much memory a program
> is taking.

I believe that in the proc directory you can dig down to get to the
actual process information.
I would check to see if there is a 'file' for the specific process that
reports the current memory usage.
I know that it is these files that ps uses for its reporting.

Just a thought on a direction that could give you what you are after.

Tom