POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I found this interesting : Re: I found this interesting Server Time
2 Oct 2024 10:20:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I found this interesting
From: Invisible
Date: 7 Apr 2008 07:54:32
Message: <47fa0b78@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:

> I think much of the problem is that people don't seem to re-read their
> work much, so they never realise what rubbish they wrote the first time.
> If you're doing university assignments or projects, there's no
> requirement for iteration - you *should* hone your writing carefully,
> but most people pull all-nighters and never read it all the way through.

Heh. If I had a dollar for every report or user manual started 20
minutes before the final submission date... ;-)

> This is where the honing comes in. When a PhD supervisor should be
> making you start writing at least a year before you submit, then making
> you revise your thesis almost continuously, you should bloody well end
> up better at writing than when you started out.
>
> Also, when you write academic papers in collaboration, the other authors
> should be proofreading the whole document and giving complete feedback -
> after all, their names are on it too, so any sloppy writing on the first
> author's part reflects badly on them.
>
> (IME at least, there's a good balance between writing and content here
> in the UK.)

My mum seriously wanted me to do a PhD. Because, I mean, 6 years in

every year of my degree, my grades became lower and lower. Fortunately I
hit graduation before I started failing modules. Thus, a PhD is
obviously the correct next step - especially given my pathologically
weak writing skills.

What. The. Hell.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/