POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lawyers redux : Re: Lawyers redux Server Time
1 Oct 2024 09:25:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lawyers redux
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Apr 2008 20:31:46
Message: <47f96b72$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> I couldn't find the thread I started this in, so...
>>
>> Thinking on it, paying the lawyers at the end might actually be a big
>> factor in cutting down silly lawsuits.
>
> That's great, and paying programmers only when they actually deliver a
> product that meets specs would significantly cut down on useless
> programs, too!
>
> Seriously, many lawyers advertise on TV here that they only take a fee
> if they *win* your case.  But if they don't choose to do so on their
> own, would you really advocate requiring them to work without knowing
> for certain if they would be paid?

In the original context, the lawyer always got paid. They just got paid
at the end by the loser. Of course, if the loser starts out broke, the
lawyer would only take the case if the lawyer thinks they're likely to
win against the big bad rich corporation. Which could also be a benefit.

I wasn't advocating the lawyers taking a case even if they think they
won't be paid. Indeed, getting lawyers to not take silly cases was kind
of the point. :-)  I was simply considering "how do you keep someone
wealthy from using 'attack lawyers' to screw up someone who has done
nothing wrong but can't afford a defense lawyer?"

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"