POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I found this interesting : Re: I found this interesting Server Time
2 Oct 2024 12:24:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I found this interesting
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Apr 2008 20:23:15
Message: <47f96973$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> but because knowing how computers
> *really* work will help them write better programs in the long run.

I taught my boss how semiconductors work last week. Why blue LEDs aren't
just "red LEDs with a different color". And why TTL takes more current
than CMOS. :-)  If you don't know why computers work in binary, and you
can't prove that 2's compliment math works, you still haven't gotten all
the way to the bottom. :-)

What's all this "assembly language" high-level stuff?  ;-)

I remember coming into the lab at Bellcore, seeing one of the guys
writing some C code, saying "Oh, getting down to some low-level stuff,
eh?"  He said "I'm writing a device driver for this joystick I just
built."  I said "Oh, getting down to some high-level stuff, eh?"

But yah, that's why I thought the article was interesting. It had a
combination of opinions that wasn't black-and-white.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"