POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : While riding on public transit... : Re: While riding on public transit... Server Time
2 Oct 2024 08:17:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: While riding on public transit...
From: Sherry Shaw
Date: 6 Apr 2008 19:58:01
Message: <47f96389@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:

> (3) I wish the Democrats would get over their "Robin Hood" mentality and
> figure this out.

OK. (1)

The biggest "entitlement boondoggle" in the history of the world is the
idea that some people are entitled to grab everything within reach and
are then entitled to hang onto it.  Baloney.  It's never been that way
in the history or prehistory of the world, and it isn't that way now.
"Wealth" (2) is also called "privilege" because that's what it is--a
privilege.

Privilege isn't about the cream rising, it's about being good at getting
and holding on and about being in the right place at the right time. (3)
  If Bill Gates had been born in Kenya, he'd be outstanding in his
field--actually out standing in his field, leaning on a spear, and
counting his cows.  If Oprah Winfrey had been born in Kenya, well, hell,
she'd be dead by now--uppity woman, anyway.  But Bill and Oprah had the
_privilege_ of being born in a place where they could amass wealth and
power and _privilege_ and I'm damned if I can see why they shouldn't pay
for that privilege. (4)  There ain't no such thing as a free lunch for
rich folks, either.

Back in the halcyon days of Ozzie and Harriet and Ward and June, the
uppermost income tax bracket paid something like 90% (5)  Oddly enough,
the rich folks didn't all just roll over and play dead--they kept right
on doing what they did and building stuff and inventing stuff and making
lots of money and so forth.  And meanwhile, we all got NASA and the
interstate highway system and a whole buttload of new school buildings
and so on.

The proper function of government is to standardize or purchase the kind
of infrastructure that can't practically be gotten piecemeal, and taxes
are the proper mechanism for that process. (6)  Taxes are _not_ the
proper mechanism for making public servants (7) rich, or for declaring
war on the rest of the planet, or for increasing the divide between rich
and poor or for obliterating the middle class (which, in the long run,
is the ultimate source of the rich folks' wealth, as well as the poor
folks' hope of not being poor anymore.

Aaaaaaah, there's nothing like a good rant!

--Sherry Shaw

(1)  Actually, I'm a Pie-Throwing Anarchist who votes Democratic.  But
I'll bite.

(2)  By which I mean wealth down at the far-right, skinny end of the
bell curve.

(3)  The three most intelligent and hard-working people I know are all
teachers; needless to say, none of them is wealthy.

(4)  Yep, poor example; both Bill and Oprah give a lot of their money
away.  But they're at the top of their respective heaps, so I'm using
them anyway.

(5)  By the way, the part most people miss is that it's n% of Adjusted
Gross Income, not just income.  You have to look at the exemptions,
deductions, credits, etc.  (If you want to know if your taxes have
really been going up or down, you need to plug this year's data into
last year's forms, and vice versa.)

(6)  Beyond that, governments should be caged, muzzled, and injected
with Haldol whenever possible.

(7)  Read "public masters"; yep, I swiped that from Mr. Heinlein.

--
#macro T(E,N)sphere{x,.4rotate z*E*60translate y*N pigment{wrinkles scale
.3}finish{ambient 1}}#end#local I=0;#while(I<5)T(I,1)T(1-I,-1)#local I=I+