POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I found this interesting : Re: I found this interesting Server Time
2 Oct 2024 14:12:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I found this interesting
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 6 Apr 2008 16:33:43
Message: <47f933a7@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:

> Personally, I think this understanding is so important that I would say
> *all* programmers should, at one point or another, learn to write
> complete programs in assembly language, by hand.  Not that they should
> use machine language for their jobs, but because knowing how computers
> *really* work will help them write better programs in the long run.

This, presumably, is why my course included a module on microprocessors,
machine code, binary representation, etc. It probably didn't help in the
slightest that this module was taught by Mr Apothetic. Seriously, I have
*no idea* WTF this guy's problem was, but damn...!

"Well this stuff is in the exam so I *suppose* I'd better teach it to
you. But it's pointless really. You'll never actually *need* to know
this stuff." Way to motivate your students, man! [Yes, these are the
actual words he used. His emphasis.]

But then, his views on BP were quite similar. "Oh yes, I understand
they're trying to 'rebuild Colossus'. Pointless really. The actual
machine was destroyed, so it'll never really be exactly like the
original. And what will they *do* with it anyway?" Jesus, dude, take a
pill or something!!

It really made me sad. This _would_ have been one of the most
interesting parts of the course... much more fun than learning Java or
how to balance accounts...