POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I found this interesting : Re: I found this interesting Server Time
2 Oct 2024 16:28:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I found this interesting
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 6 Apr 2008 14:47:13
Message: <47f91ab1$1@news.povray.org>
>> I'm good at writing short, unstructured things. When trying to explain
>> big concepts, I have trouble figuring out where to start and what
>> order to say things in. My writing tends to lack high-level order -
>> much like my thought processes.
>
> Yeah, that's a hard thing to get over.  The trick I've found is you need
> to be able to hold the whole thing in your head at once.  The only way
> to do that is to abstract it repeatedly until it all fits.
>
> In other words, write an outline, and then rearrange the outline. Make
> sure what you want to say is all in the outline. Expand parts of the
> outline, concentrating on only those sections, until the outline
> includes enough detail that you know where everything you want to say goes.

I find I tend to sit down, start writing, generate loads of ideas, run
off at tangents, and end up with a bunch of stuff that makes sense, but
misses out lots of interesting details that I couldn't fit into the flow
of the text.

Oddly, even when I write an extensive outline, I still end up managing
to muddle things up. The text ends up not matching the outline very
well. :-S

>> Now, if only I knew the magical incantation. [You know, the one that
>> makes her go from "ok, I'm sitting here with a bunch of people
>> chatting" to "hey, that boy is cute. I should make out with him..."]
>
> Heh.  It's not magic. Just be your witty charming self.

Ooo, I've never tried that before.

Oh, wait...