POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lamp : Re: Lamp Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:12:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lamp
From: Chris B
Date: 6 Apr 2008 05:44:31
Message: <47f89b7f@news.povray.org>
"Jan Dvorak" <jan### [at] centrumcz> wrote in message
> Darren New napsal(a):
>> triple_r wrote:
>>> I can depict a trademark to refer to the owner,
>>
>> That means you can use the McDonald's trademark if you're actually
>> talking about McDonald's, but not to imply that someone else is
>> McDonald's.
> ... snip ...
>
> I've got a question if the same applies to copyrights:
> Can I replicate a monopoly game (w/ or w/o mr. monopoly) even though the
> board design (placement of the properties and their names) is copyrighted?
> What if the result wins an IRTC round? Will I have to pay Hasbro^(c) a
> tribute?

Copyright laws vary quite widely by country and cases are often determined
through precedents set in earlier legal cases in that country.

Again - IANAL, but, if you are using a computer model of a monopoly board to
represent a monopoly game in an image and it doesn't harm their business,
then I would think you're on pretty safe ground. I find it hard to imagine
circumstances where a company such as that would object to their board being
represented in an IRTC round. Indeed they may well view it as promotional
for their product. If they did complain, then it should be easy to settle by
simply removing it from the web site.

Regards,
Chris B.