POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lamp : Re: Lamp Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lamp
From: Chris B
Date: 6 Apr 2008 05:17:11
Message: <47f89517$1@news.povray.org>
news:47f82960$1@news.povray.org...
> triple_r wrote:
>> I can depict a trademark to refer to the owner,
>
> That means you can use the McDonald's trademark if you're actually talking
> about McDonald's, but not to imply that someone else is McDonald's.
>
>> but I haven't a clue as to what that means in this context.
>
> In the US? Nothing. You're not trading, hence trademarks are irrelevant.

I'm not an expert in US law, but:
1.  I think McDonald's rights over their trademark and copyright artwork
extend beyond just others trading against it. I suspect that, like in most
other countries, they have the right to protect against missuse/corruption
of their trademark.
2.  In the case of this question - to publish on the POV-Ray Object
Collection you need to be able to grant rights over the work to others
according to the terms of the CC-LGPL.

I think the phrase "I copied a trademark" is 'implying' something :-)

> If you hand-painted the McDonald's logo as a work of art and hung it on
> your wall, McDonald's wouldn't have anything to say about that either.

If it showed RM in a compromising position, then I suspect they would be in
court before the paint dried. Even if it was an accurate and uncompromising
rendition, I don't think you'd have the right to authorise someone else to
reuse, modify and redistribute it (e.g. to hang it in their restaurant
window with a sign saying 10% off McNuggets).

Regards,
Chris.