POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I found this interesting : Re: I found this interesting Server Time
2 Oct 2024 18:22:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I found this interesting
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 6 Apr 2008 05:09:00
Message: <47f8932c$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Yah, plus your technical writing isn't bad either, from the few snippets
> you've posted here when you write about things you enjoy.

Ooo... really?

> You might need some instruction on how to (say) write a report for
> management, or something like that, but that's a skill that's relatively
> easy to learn with a bit of practice. It *does* take instruction, so you
> can't just keep trying an expect to get better without feedback. (Not
> unlike resumes, really.)

Interestingly, my experience with the disaster recovery procedure
document suggests otherwise...

[It used to be 3 pages of whaffle about "hey, um, if X fails we could
maybe do Y, unless Z and then... uh... that's quite unlikely?" The sort
of thing a student might dash off half an our before the hand-in date.
Full of unecessary technical jargon, most of it used incorrectly.

That document is now 25 pages long, and consists of a high-level
non-technical explanation of what systems we have in the first place,
the fault tolerance measures it has, the emergency contracts he hold,
etc etc before it even goes *into* disaster recovery steps. And then,
for each disaster, it explains (in non-technical language) exactly what
impact such a fault would have, and lists various recovery options.
Apparently "external auditors love it". Make of that what you will...]