POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lamp : Re: Lamp Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:27:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lamp
From: Chris B
Date: 6 Apr 2008 04:56:43
Message: <47f8904b@news.povray.org>
"triple_r" <rre### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> William Tracy <wtr### [at] calpolyedu> wrote:
>> Chris B wrote:
>> > I imagine that the question arises because you've copied a real lamp
>> > quite
>> > precisely.
>>
>> http://www.pixar.com/shorts/ljr/
>
> Indeed.  Pixar copied a lamp quite precisely.  I copied a trademark.  Hmm.

Ahh! I should've noticed that :-)
IMO that's more tricky because your model is a copy of another computer
model.

For you to post it into the POV-Ray object collection you need to have the
right to grant a CC-LGPL license over the model to authorise others to use,
copy, adapt and redistribute.  My guess would be that you don't have that
exclusive right.

OTOH, because it's a form that was extremely common both in the real world
and in art before Pixar used it, I don't think a model of a lamp would have
to be hugely different from the Pixar one for the author to be able to claim
complete ownership of their model. Aspects that could be unique to Pixar are
the precise profiles of the base and the lampshade and the shapes of the
joints. Also, the relative dimensions of the 'baby' lamp could distinguise
this particular lamp (in particular if these don't match any real-world
lamps).

Regards,
Chris B.