POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One thing which puzzles me about unix/linux : Re: One thing which puzzles me about unix/linux Server Time
1 Oct 2024 09:27:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One thing which puzzles me about unix/linux
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Apr 2008 16:12:43
Message: <47f7eb4b$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Yet there are plenty of resource monitors which can show cpu usage,
> bandwidths, memory usage, disk usage, and lots of info on a per-process
> basis ('top' being the basic example).

But that's peeking into the current system tables. Seeing what it is
right now is easy. Reliably recording it moment by moment needs more,
methinks.

If saying "hey, I just called sbrk() for another page of memory" or "I
just did six I/Os to satisfy a select query" was as easy as sending
something to syslog, I expect a lot more libraries would implement those
sorts of measurements. As it is, there's no good place for the C runtime
(for example) to record the max memory used, and no easy way to look at
it when it's done. So adding this capability needs the implementor not
only to record how much memory was used, but to write a program to
display the histogram, to decide on a file format to use, to build the
configuration subsystem to say what file it should go into, etc. And if
it's something in the kernel, you have to probably build a device driver
to turn it on and off, etc.  Probably seems like a lot of work.

Of course, I'm just guessing at a reason.

Say, did you try things like Purify? Shouldn't that be able to track it,
since it replaces malloc and free?

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"