POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I found this interesting : Re: I found this interesting Server Time
2 Oct 2024 20:24:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I found this interesting
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Apr 2008 16:07:34
Message: <47f7ea16$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Quite amazingly, this seems to be so even in academic circles. Well,
> at least here.

Yah. And I've found most marketing people, many of whose jobs it is to
write, have little or no grasp of simple things like sentence construction.

It just takes lots of practice and correction. I was fortunate to go to
a grade school (as in, first through 12th grade) where they actually
hammered on you ever single week to get you to improve. You started with
"here's a topic, take it home, and bring back a one-page essay about it
next week." It ended with "take a seat, here's your topic, you have 20
minutes for a 2-page-with-outline essay discussing the topic."

I think the Ph.D. stuff (at least in the USA) is much more about
reading, writing, and presenting than it is about the actual field of
research.  Maybe places like MIT teach you more technical stuff in the
PhD degree than the Masters degree, but that isn't the case in any of
the places where I or my friends went.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"