POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lamp : Re: Lamp Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:27:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lamp
From: Chris B
Date: 5 Apr 2008 16:06:34
Message: <47f7e9da$1@news.povray.org>
"triple_r" <rre### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> Not perfect, but here's an old model ca. 2002.  It's fun to revisit old
> scenes
> with an order of magnitude more computing power.  It's all CSG with
> inverse
> kinematics, although meshes would be much faster.  Just a macro with about
> seven parameters to place and orient the lamp.  Can something like this be
> posted to the object collection, or would someone feel the need to go
> alert the
> lawyers?

Hi Ricky,

Nice model.
I imagine that the question arises because you've copied a real lamp quite
precisely.

I'm not a lawyer, but previous discussions here have lead me to think it
comes down to how unique and distinct the object is. There are lots of
manufacturers of this sort of lamp out there and the basic design dates back
a long way, so I doubt there's still a patent outstanding on the basic
design.

If this particular lamp has anything unique and distinct about it that the
manufacturer could claim as their own design, then it might be worth simply
reworking those particular components to a design of your own.

Regards,
Chris B.