POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One thing which puzzles me about unix/linux : Re: One thing which puzzles me about unix/linux Server Time
1 Oct 2024 09:22:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One thing which puzzles me about unix/linux
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Apr 2008 15:39:45
Message: <47f7e391$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   But no. There doesn't seem to be any such program. I'm completely
> puzzled about why this is so.

For one thing, there's no unified performance measurement/reporting
mechanisms in Linux. And in the original versions of Linux, you really
could only fit a tiny number of programs in memory at once. (The reason
fork() works the way it does is it was implemented originally (as in
Version 7) as "swap out this process, but don't clear it out of memory
afterwards.)

So there's no good way of seeing how much your peak memory is, or your
disk I/O rate, or how much network bandwidth you're taking up, because
you'd have to build each of these reporting infrastructures from
scratch. There's no "performance monitor" kind of thing where you could
implement *just* the memory watcher and already have the libraries to
track peak, average, etc.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"