POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I found this interesting : Re: I found this interesting Server Time
1 Oct 2024 09:26:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I found this interesting
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 5 Apr 2008 05:19:03
Message: <47f75217@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   I somewhat disagree with this view. Sure, there are *some* people who
> are envious of "noobs" getting the job "done" with their fancy high-level
> languages without really understanding what's going on under the hood.
> However, I don't think that's the most usual reason for the negative
> feelings.
>
>   I believe that the most usual reason for the negative attitude is
> that the "noobs" are getting the job "done" faster, but at the cost
> of software quality. The software made by a newbie usually lacks
> robustness and efficiency. However, because bosses usually cannot
> see past the GUI, they are fooled into thinking that the newbie is
> actually a better programmer than the experienced one because he got
> something visible done faster. Then they hire the newbie and kick out
> the experienced programmer.
>
>   And the result can be seen, for example, at thedailywtf.com.

I think sometimes people *are* just jelous of a higher level language
making programming "too easy". Those people should get over it.

On the other hand, there certainly *are* some really awful programmers
who outwardly appear to "get the job done faster" by writing really
terrible code. Measuring programmer performance by how quickly they
"deliver" a "solution" is almost as stupid as measuring it my LoC.

In short, I think both points of view are valid. As to which one
predominates... well, I personally am in *no* position to make an
authoritative statement about that! ;-) But judging by some of the guys
I graduated with... hmm, I think incompetent is probably more prevalent. :-S