POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question about OOXML : Re: A question about OOXML Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:20:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question about OOXML
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 5 Apr 2008 02:50:23
Message: <47f72f3f@news.povray.org>
>> Is there *any* SQL server that actually follows the standard? *I* sure
>> haven't found one. Better get rid of all the databases the government
>> keeps too.
>
> There's no database product I've seen that fully and only implements the
> SQL:2003 standard, forget the latest one. Most products implement somewhere
> between some and most of the standard, then add their own features on top.
> It's what makes the idea of 'database portability' such a joke

On the other hand, they all implement more than enough of the standard
that you can write applications that can target arbitrary database engines.

Additionally, there's absolutely no need to scrap database engines when
exporting data from one engine to another is so trivial... Sure, the
database integrity logic and indexes and constraints and so forth are
another matter, but the *data* is easy to get at. The same doesn't apply
to Word...