POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Challenging radiosity : Re: Challenging radiosity Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:13:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Challenging radiosity
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 5 Apr 2008 02:46:04
Message: <47f72e3c$1@news.povray.org>
"triple_r" <rre### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht
> "Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
>> we should need to see your radiosity settings...
>
> Sorry.  Of course.  Here are the settings for the high quality render:
>
> radiosity {
>  normal off
>  count 300
>  recursion_limit 2
>  error_bound 0.35
>  pretrace_start 0.08
>  pretrace_end 0.02
> }

Like Bill said, you could decrease error_bound to 0.2, but I would increase
count to 1000 at least. Also pretrace_end should be much lower for better
results.

I post below the settings I have used for an indoor scene, using 2-pass
radiosity. Maybe you could try that.

//--- start code ---
    radiosity {
      //saving radiosity data:
      #if (RadSave)
        save_file "DG1.rad"
        pretrace_start 0.1           // start pretrace at this size
        pretrace_end   0.0025           // end pretrace at this size
        always_sample on            // turn sampling in final trace off [on]
        count 1000
        error_bound 0.2
        recursion_limit 2

      //reading radiosity data:
      #else
        load_file "DG1.rad"
        pretrace_start 1
        pretrace_end 1
        always_sample off            // turn sampling in final trace off
[on]
        count 100
        error_bound 1.8
        recursion_limit 1             // how much interreflections are
calculated (1..5+) [3]
      #end

      //common settings:
      brightness 1                  // brightness of radiosity effects
(0..1) [1]
      nearest_count 8               // higher -> higher quality (1..10) [5]
can go up to 20. little effect on render time higher is better
      adc_bailout 0.005
      low_error_factor 0.8           // reduce error_bound during last
pretrace step
      minimum_reuse 0.015           // reuse of old radiosity samples
[0.015]
      gray_threshold 0            // increase for weakening colors (0..1)
[0]
      normal off                    // take surface normals into account
[off]
      media off                     // take media into account [off]
      //max_sample 1.0              // maximum brightness of samples
    }
//--- end code ---

good luck! And by the way, you have there a nice image/scene!

Thomas