POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question about OOXML : Re: A question about OOXML Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question about OOXML
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Apr 2008 23:27:46
Message: <47f6ffc2$1@news.povray.org>
PoD wrote:
> Governments mandate ISO standards are to be used for documents so that
> they won't be locked into using a single supplier for their software.

If "lay out the lines of text like Word97 does" is important, you're
already locked in.

> MS forces their under specified format through ISO.

Yes, this is bad.

> Because the "specification" of the standard is incomplete MS is the only
> body which can implement it.

Because the standard specifies so much *more* than the other standards.
Obviously, for example, the standard has to specify how to talk to COM
objects, since Word documents can do that. Yet nobody else is going to
implement all of COM just to support that feature, even if it *was*
fully specified, which it can't be in any reasonable way.

> End result - government departments are still locked into using MS office.

But not because of the standard being incomplete, but because nobody
else is going to try to duplicate what the standard would specify were
it actually complete, because you can just go to MS and buy a copy of
Word for a fraction of what that would cost.

I mean, if you really cared what the word wrap algorithm for Word 97 is,
it's not any less precisely specified than the word wrap algorithm for
Open Office.

> As for the "do this like word97", the correct way to handle this would
> have been to include sufficient algorithms in the specification to allow
> a translator to convert old word documents into the new format.

You can. The word wrapping just won't be the same. Which doesn't seem to
be a problem for ODF, since ODF doesn't tell you what the word wrapping
algorithm is either.

> From what I've been reading it seems that MS office won't actually be
> compliant with the ISO version of OOXML anyway so governments should
> refuse to buy it.

Which works great, until you can no longer get out of jail at the end of
your sentence because your government lost all the paperwork. Then
you'll be all like "Can't you just splurge a hundred bucks on Word and
let me free?"  :-)

Is there *any* SQL server that actually follows the standard? *I* sure
haven't found one. Better get rid of all the databases the government
keeps too.

It *is* a sucky standard, but that's what you get when you take
something already finished and try to document the details that have
been historically piling up over decades. I suspect it's a good enough
standard that if MS stopped selling Word and you needed to move your
documents to a new format, you could move most of the content to
something else. You might lose some formatting, some active macro stuff,
etc, but probably no worse than trying to move Postscript to LaTeX or
some such.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"