POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : While riding on public transit... : Re: While riding on public transit... Server Time
2 Oct 2024 08:14:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: While riding on public transit...
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Apr 2008 23:16:25
Message: <47f6fd19@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Warp wrote:
>>>   Because when you bring the car to Finland you have to pay the taxes
>>> anyways.
>>
>> In the US they're clever. They don't call it "sales tax". They call it
>> "use tax".  So you can't go to a state without sales tax, buy a car or
>> boat or something, and avoid paying your home sales tax.
>>

> Depends on the state, since individual states implement sales taxes. For
> instance, Washington State has a sales tax.  Oregon doesn't.  Lot's of
> Washintonians who live on the border do their shopping in Oregon as a
> result.

But if you buy something big, like a car or a boat, and take it back to
Washington, when you try to register it to use it, they'll charge you a
"use tax". That's what I'm saying. They couldn't charge you a sales tax,
because you didn't buy it in their jurisdiction. But they can charge you
a use tax for driving it there.

In theory, this is true of most everything. In practice, they can only
catch you if you're required to tell them you bought it.  It is, for
example, why it's illegal to bring cigarettes into New York without
paying for New York tobacco stamps, and the same with liquor in
Pennsylvania.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"